Friday, April 15, 2011

Tribute to my grandmother

I know my blog is meant to be about my journey with BRCA 1, but a significant occurrence happened in my life this week that I would be remiss for not including.  My grandmother, Betty Lou Grove Rudacille, died to this world and went to heaven to be with Jesus on Saturday April 19th.  I have had my grandmother, who I affectionately called, "Granny" in my life since birth.  She was there when I was born, she helped raise me along with my grandfather, Ronald, all throughout my childhood and she had helped me raise my two children, her great grandchildren. I am deeply saddened about this loss, but I am overjoyed for her, as she is now in the presence of her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, and is there with her husband, brother, sister, parents and other relatives and friends that she has been a part from for many years.  She lived a very gracious and full life for 80 years and everyone who knew her, loved her.  She was a wife, a mother, a grandmother, a great grandmother, a sister, a daughter and a friend to many.  She and her husband had a strong connection that was evident in her death.  Her husband, Ronald, suffered a heart attack on November 20, 1997, recovered to some extent and then passed away on April 12, 1998.  Granny suffered a heart myopathy on November 17, 2010, recovered to some extent and then passed away on April 9, 2011.  You cant tell me that was just a coincidence. We eulogized my grandmother this week in the same church that she and Ronald were married.  It was one of the sweetest moments of my life.  I am missing my grandmother terribly and I know I will continue to miss her.  Gracie and Sophie are missing her terribly.  They were very close to Granny and went to her house every Friday night for the last 6 years.  During these times, she would cook them dinner, play make believe games like school and office, talk about her time as a child with her sister, AB, and would always have a special movie, puzzle or game to play.  Sophie asked me one day a few years ago, "When Granny dies Mom, where will I go on Friday nights?"  I cant believe that she is gone from this world, but I hold onto the truth that God's word says in Philippians 1:21 "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." When Granny got sick in November and was in the hospital, she had a ventilator for about a week and could not talk. Being the big conversationalist that she was, she quickly demanded a pen and paper so she could write down what she wanted to say. My mother kept all of these notes that Granny wrote during that time, which mounted to about 20 pages.  I read over these pages the other day and one of the first ones I remember her writing was she wrote the word "LIVE".  At the time she wrote it, I took this as she wanted to live more here on earth and that she did not want to die.  Over the last few months, I have seen a transition with my grandmother, where before I do not think she really thought much about dying, but I saw her begin to process the reality of death and she came to some peace about it.  She always knew that she was going to heaven, but I think she was torn between living longer here on earth with her family and going to heaven to be with Jesus.  I have been studying the book of Revelation this semester with my dear Biblestudy group and one thing I learned is that living in heaven is full of more life than living here on earth will ever be.  In Psalm 23, the popular Psalm says "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures and leads me beside quiet waters."  In Revelation 7:17 God is described again as a shepherd but this time it says "The Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to living fountains of waters."  I firmly believe with all that I am that my grandmother is more alive in death than she ever was living here on earth.  She is with her shepherd who has brought her to the living fountains of water and one day, we will be together again in heaven. 

2 comments:

  1. sorry for your loss Levacy, but glad for Heaven's gain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this blog!! You are so encouraging and continue to pray for strength for you and family!! love you much heidi

    ReplyDelete