Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tomorrow I will officially become a previvor!

Well, tomorrow is the day that I officially become a previvor of cancer! I have a lot of mixed emotions thinking about the surgery I will undergo to get rid of all of my female organs and reduce my BRCA 1 risk of ovarian cancer down to as close to zero as humanly possible.  I am anxious about a few things-complications from the surgery, the surgeon finding cancer in my ovaries once they are removed and then not feeling like myself as I enter the world of surgical menopause. I feel like I have prepared myself as much as possible for all of this and my mind and body are ready.  Things that have helped ease my anxiety have been cards of encouragement from friends and family, phone calls, visits and words of encouragement from my husband, family and friends.  So many people have offered to help with my children and bring our family meals during my recovery! It has been amazing! The emotional support I have is overwhelming and a true blessing to me during this time in my life!

Above all, my faith in my God has been the greatest source of spiritual strength during this time for me.  I know that God will see me and my family through this circumstance! I have been relying on several scriptures this week that I want to end with today:

Psalm 27:1
 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid? 


Isaiah 41:10

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Psalm 42:5

Why, my soul, are you downcast?
   Why so disturbed within me?
Put your hope in God,
   for I will yet praise him,
   my Savior and my God

Psalm 42:8

By day the LORD directs his love,
   at night his song is with me—
   a prayer to the God of my life.


Levacy   

7 comments:

  1. We are praying for you all with much love and expectation from the Lord. He is the strength of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do not know each other, but I know Nathan. I will spend time in prayer for you today in Mississippi. God providentially brought your story and blog to me today. "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been praying for you, your family and those on the medical staff who will be performing the surgery!! May God, the GREAT
    PHYSICIAN's, hands be working through the doctors. Give them eyes to see everything they need to see and give them wisdom as they perform
    the surgery! May your body heal and recover as smoothly as possible. May you just rest in Him during this time of healing and may your heart and mind be anxious for nothing! And may all of your family receive a heavenly amount of peace and encouragement during this time! In Jesus' Name! Love you & your family and will continue praying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Levacy,

    You are so brave and strong to undergo these preventative measures not only for yourself but also for your family. You have always been someone that I have admired over the years for your devotion to God, your family, and your persistently kind spirit. I can now admire your strength and courage. I am praying for you, Nathan, and the girls, and I wish you a quick and healthy recovery.

    Much love,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete